Saturday, May 2, 2009

Voter Registration

I spent most of today trying to get people to register to vote at the local Cinco de Mayo celebration. I don't understand some people. When I was 18, one of the first things I did, besides buy a pack of cigarettes that I never smoked, was to register to vote. I was so excited. Today I watched people who acted as if they were proud they weren't registered, 18 years olds who didn't know if they were going to register, and people who would rather register for the Independant Party, the party of David Duke and the Klu Klux Klan than to register for a regular party. Of course, some of the people might not have known who David Duke is and didn't want to ask, but still.. I don't have much faith in the average American. Some don't register because they think they will have to serve jury duty - wrong. Jurors names are taken from driver's licence holders. Would they consider not driving to avoid jury duty? Oh no! But they give up their right to have a say in how their country is run to avoid one day of duty to their fellow citizens. And, although one vote may not make a difference, my one vote gives me the right to bitch if things aren't working out the way I want. I wouldn't give up that right for anything!! But, really, the average voter probably doesn't even do the research need to make the proper decision about who to vote for. They listen to their favorite news station or make their decisions based upon commercials or signs or who their friend, spouse, parents, etc. want them to vote for. But if people don't register and vote that leaves our destiny up to those who vote without fail... Old, retired people who have nothing better to do and don't think like the rest of us. Not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment